Together with a team of architects, the Missouri Soybean Merchandising Council used numerous soy-biobased products in their Center for Soy Innovation. View more about how they are teaching their guests about biobased products as well as the many food and feed uses for soybeans.
Products Used in and around the Center for Soy Innovation Include:
- Biodiesel powers the center’s furnace. Made from a broad range of feedstocks including soybean oil, biodiesel reduces emissions by more than 50% compared to petroleum.
Columbia Forest Products’ Purebond® Plywood
- Made with soy flour, PureBond’s adhesive won an EPA Green Chemistry Award. According to the EPA, the technology represented the “first cost-competitive, environmentally friendly adhesive that replaced the toxic urea–formaldehyde (UF) resin. U.S. soy is inside more than 100 million panels of Columbia Forest Products’ Purebond® Plywood.
Demilec Heatlok Soy Spray Foam Insulation
- Made with 14% renewable soybean oil and recycled plastics, Heatlok Soy is a high-performing versatile spray foam.
- The Sherwin-Williams Company received an EPA Presidential Green Chemistry Challenge Award in 2010 for its breakthrough paint formulation that uses both soybean oil and recycled plastic bottles. Sherwin-Williams’ formula has eliminated the use of thousands of barrels of oil and hundreds of thousands of VOCs, or volatile organic compounds.
- Made in America, Signature’s high-performance carpet with soy backing offers a durable solution for commercial, high-traffic installations. The soy-based backing offers excellent moisture resistant properties and emits low VOC levels for improved indoor air quality.
SYNLawn Artificial Turf
- SYNLawn has used soybean oil on more than 70 million square feet of its American-made grass. Soybean oil displaces 60% of the petroleum-based polyurethane in their backing.
PoreShield by Crafco
- PoreShield is a USDA BioPreferred product and is approved for residential, commercial, and industrial use. PoreShield soaks deep into concrete to provide long-lasting protection. Unlike toxic concrete sealers which only form a temporary coating that can deteriorate over time, bio-based PoreShield blocks moisture from within. Lab tests and real-life applications have proven PoreShield outperforms traditional sealers and significantly extends the life of concrete.
RePLAY™ Asphalt Sealant
- An agricultural oil seal and preservation agent that extends the life of paved asphalt surfaces when applied every 3-5 years. The 88% biobased solution is easily applied and works deep into the asphalt matrix. There is no need to restripe with RePLAY. It also helps maintain skid resistance.
Originally shared by the United Soybean Board, August 18, 2020. Updated title, products, and links for purpose and clarity, October 16, 2023.